How to Make a Leather Necklace
Making leather necklaces is fun and easy! They are quick to make and work well with a variety of pendant and charm styles, so you can make them in all different colors for all your favorite pendants.
In this video I show you step by step how to use fold-over end crimps to attach a clasp to a flat leather cord, but these findings also work great for making necklaces with ribbon, cord, or rubber. This technique will certainly come in handy for you if you like to play with different materials in your jewelry making!
You’ll find a complete list of tools and supplies after the video.
TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
• 3mm (1/8″) wide leather or cord*
• 2 3mm fold-over end crimps*
• 2 jump rings*
• 1 clasp*
• 2 pairs of pliers (chain nose or bent chain nose, or any combination)
• flush cutters
* The cord I use in the video is this 3mm flat black suede cord and the crimps, jump rings, and clasp are available in this crimp end /clasp kit (both from my Etsy shop).
– Cut your leather or cord an inch shorter than the finished length you want your necklace to be. For a 16 inch necklace, I cut a 15 inch piece of leather.
– Squeeze in the ends of the crimps before you slide them onto the cord. This makes it much easier to flatten them with your pliers.
– If you’d like to use a larger size cord, be sure to look for fold-over crimp ends that are the right size for the material you choose.
– To use the same crimps with ribbon, you can fold over the ends of a wide ribbon to fit inside the crimps.
These cord necklaces go great with any of my DIY Pendant Tutorials: